Sunday, January 1, 2012

Galapagos-Day 1


After an extremely early wake-up, long bus ride, even longer flight-with a stop-over in Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador, we finally found ourselves on Baltra, in the Galapagos Islands. From there, it was a short bus ride, ferry ride,





 then minibus ride to our hotel on Santa Cruz, where we had a relatively quick lunch in the company of some lazy sea lions,  



quirky marine iguanas,


and crabs. 


It was then time for a quick change into swimsuits, we got back on the minibus and headed over to a spot where we met our kayak guide, who led us on a little journey to see some blue footed boobies (so cool!) and then onto a beach where we got to choose between a hike and some snorkeling. After all the hiking we've been doing, I thought snorkeling would suit me better, and boy, was I right.

I'm not sure I'm the best snorkeler. I'm always worried that I'm missing something that I should see, and thus a bit stressed. However, the rich marine life here on Santa Cruz quickly allayed those concerns.

The water was perfect at about 77 degrees- a nice swimming temperature for me, without the need for a wetsuit. I started out reminding myself how to breathe underwater, reminding myself not to panic, and relax into the breath, then started some breast stroke type motion.

Almost immediately, we saw schools of fish as well as individual fish of all shapes and sizes. Then a ray swam under us. So cool! Pretty soon, I was eager to see more, and just then, an enormous sea turtle appeared underneath me. I called to the rest of those snorkeling, and tried following the sea turtle. When I lifted my head to call them a second time, the turtle disappeared. But them another ray appeared, and pretty soon, another sea turtle as well, which I managed to keep an eye on until the others were able to join and see as well. Altogether too soon, it was time to head back to shore, at a slightly faster clip than heading out. But that was cool too. More and more schools of fish, and so close to us! Then a brown spotted eel retreating behind a rock. And finally, as I got to shore, sea lions popped up behind me. And as Maxwell and Ronn made it in, the sea lions really started feeling playful, swimming right by them and popping up.

On the kayak ride back, we saw some sea turtles breaking the surface. Amit was feeling a bit kayak-competitive, and tried to beat Ronn and Yarden back to shore. Of course they, who hadn't even realized we were racing beat us by a hair. It was nice, though, to see that Amit has gotten to be a strong kayaker. Now we have to work on our commutation, and pretty soon we will be a rocking pair!

No comments: