Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals vs. Resolutions


(A little break from travel-logging to discuss New Year's resolutions)

I've been asked what my resolutions are for 2012. I don't have any. I think that generally speaking, I tend to be relatively self-aware, and seek self-improvement. Maybe not in all areas of my life- maybe not those still in the wings, but at least in the ones that currently taking center stage. There certainly are many improvements to be had, so it's a good thing that I plan on living a long time in order to achieve them! All this is to say that in the day to day, if I think that I would benefit by doing something different, I really do try to do it rather than waiting for my birthday or new Year's to set them.

Resolution
Noun: 1. A firm decision to do or not to do something

I suppose deciding to do or not do something is a nice first step. But really, do we wait until New Year's for this?

Goal
Noun: 1. The purpose toward an endeavor is directed; an objective.

A goal to me is both quantifiable, and requires action. Resolutions are just decisions. Goals also allow you to say "by X date, I would like to achieve Y" and imply that there are steps necessary to accomplish that. That concreteness appeals to me. It also makes sense to me to say "by this time next year I would like to achieve X"

Onward.

So all the above hyperbole is to say that I have goals for 2012. Probably too, too many.
And here they are:

Trapeze

1. Layout full out of lines catch
2. Mod out of lines catch
(these are both currently in lines)
Steps to achieving include setting aside dedicated days to working on each skill, incorporating proprioceptive cues into my flying, lots and lots of planks and strengthening incorporated as small blocks of time during my day.

Triathlon

1. Ironman Mont Tremblant
-Finishing
-Enjoying the experience
-Finishing in under 14:00:00
2. PR in NYC Triathlon and sub-2:40
I've lined up to coaching (team in training) to help me achieve both these goals, and have really worked on my running in the off-season so that it stops to be a limiter. I'm also going to do a running gait analysis done to see how to improve my form and remain injury-free. I do believe that as long as I stay consistent in my training, both these goals are readily achievable.

Life

1. volunteer more/help others
- I've started lining up opportunities where I can volunteer, both in the sports community, and in the world at large. I've also been making a point to carry packaged, nutritious snacks with me, to give to people asking for change.
2. Find more time for the things that matter (this might be too vague)
- limit Facebook usage by setting up specific times when I go online, as opposed to leaving it open in the background.
-schedule specific times to go online
3. Learn more
-I've been listening to TEDtalks on Hulu, and have a bunch on my queue. For those unfamiliar, these are a great thing to check out. Many well known thinkers, or innovators in their fields presenting talks on a multitude of subjects, ranging in length between 5 and 20 minutes for the most part
-I'd like to learn another language, but am on the fence about whether to pick up French or gain greater fluency in Spanish.

Well, that's the short list. I'll follow up at either mid-year or year's end to see how I've done.


"Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.” Vincent Van Gogh

No comments: