Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cycling

Because of the ban on running, I made sure to really focus in cycling and swimming. This was probably good, as those two disciplines had completely fallen by the wayside as a result of marathon training. I also believe that the primary focus of triathlon training has to be the bike. After all, it's the longest leg of the course both on terms of mileage and time, and if not approached correctly, could lead to a disastrous run.
We've been lucky to have a really mild winter thus far. That means plenty of opportunities to take my cycling outdoors, where I prefer to be, in addition to some required drill sessions on the trainer.

Last year when I was with Terrier I did a total of Zero long rides with the group. Those guys are fast! During the few midweek rides I joined them for, they lost me within the first mile or two (the warm up). These guys were also getting on the podium regularly in race. Simply put, I was intimidated. Way too intimidated to join them for a ride farther from home.

I vowed that I wouldn't compromise my training because of intimidation this year, so when an opportunity presented itself to attend an outdoor group ride with Team in Training (I was in Miami for their last outdoor ride), I made myself join them. It turns out that Team inTraining is perfect for me. I'm neither the fastest nor slowest rider, but was firmly in the center of the group on the ride we did up to Piermont.

On the way back, Jay, the cycling coach talked me through some pedaling improvements, quickening my cadence, as well as teaching me the proper way to unclip and come to a stop without fear of toppling over. Having practiced since, I can't believe that I didn't figure this out sooner - all you need to do is unclip your standing leg, the. Shift forward, off your seat, keeping your clipped in foot at six o'clock, and voila! You can stand with you foot flat on the ground instead of on tip toe!

While speeds are still well below what I'd like them to be, it's early enough in the season that I know there will be plenty of time to work on that in the coming months.

No comments: