Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Swimming

Here are my (not so) profound thoughts on swimming:

1.  Swimming is fun, and when I do it on my own or in class, it's a relaxed/relaxing endeavor.
2.  The swim is by far the shortest portion of a triathlon.  My only goal in the swim is making it easy, efficient and streamlined, so I don't waste any of the energy I'll need later on.  I don't care about being first out of the water (not that there's any possibility of that anyway!).  I only care about completing it without depleting any of my physical or mental reserves.  So there.  

Of course, if I can do that at a fast clip, so much the better.


Ah, if only that was how easy it is.  The reality is that getting pool time is much more challenging than finding running or cycling time.  For the later two, all I need are the great outdoors (or occasional trainer ride), whereas swim times are limited to early mornings (ugh!) or evenings, when all I want to do is relax and hit the sack early.

Today I managed to motivate to wake up at 5:30.  I hit the snooze, planning on rolling over and skipping my swim, but instead found myself rolling over, getting out of bed, brushing my teeth, then putting on my sweats, clogs, and jacket and heading out to the pool.  I had to - this is testing week, and on today's schedule was a timed mile, with the splits taken every 200.  (We won't talk about the absurdly slow timed running mile that I did on Wednesday; maybe next month, if I actually see some improvement, I can write/laugh about it).

So I wore my Garmin, set it to "other" a/k/a swim, and got into the pool.  After my warm-up and some drills, it was time for the mile.  I planned on doing 1800 yards - the pool I swim in is 25 yards long, and 1 statute mile is 1720 yards.  I figured I'd round up to 1800 yards, especially because it would give me 9 splits to see how I was doing at keeping it consistent.  At team practice, Megan (our coach) mentioned that whenever she tries using a watch with lap functions, she always has tech snafus.  I vowed that wouldn't happen to me.

Yeah right.  Here are my splits:

13:46.40.000
27:47.70.000
3:00.80.000
43:46.80.000
53:49.60.000
6:04.00.000
74:47.00.000
83:52.60.000
93:56.60.000
10:58.50.00
Summary32:50.01.11


Obviously, there were technical difficulties, including my watch stopping and turning off.  I'm not really happy with the accuracy of this information, so if I can get my a$$ to bed, and up early, I will try to get myself to a different pool to swim another timed mile tomorrow.  Hopefully tomorrow my watch will behave.  

No comments: