Thursday, March 1, 2012

Flying

I've been struggling with trying to find a balance between triathlon training and flying, and knew that pretty soon I'd have to give up most of my flying for triathlon.  The truth is that I'm unable to simultaneously give my all to triathlon and trapeze, and being the competitive person I am (if even with myself), I've been getting exceedingly frustrated with my diminishing performance and anxiety at trapeze.  But let's face it: this year is about Ironman (and then the NY Marathon).  Next year and later, there will be plenty of time for missed swims, bikes or runs. This year, the house of cards that makes up Ironman training is much more precarious and unforgiving of skipped practices.

It was with some relief, therefore, that I received the news that TSNY would be closing their current location, and would not be opening a new alternative location until the fall.  I know it's lame that I feel better when this particular choice is made by outside forces, but I am glad not to have yet another battle of willpower.

In the interim, I've decided that I will maximize not productivity, but sheer pleasure with the limited trapeze time  remaining before the indoor location shuts down.  To that end, my goals have been modified to maximize fun.  Forget taking the layout full out of lines, at least for now.  Instead, bring on the twisting!! Pirouettes, full twisting whips, and maybe even cutaway rudys, or whatever else I feel like pulling out on a given day.  Josh has green lighted my current fun plan, which is a relief.

Since implementing the "fun plan" I've played with the 540's, fwhips, dusted off the planche and the flexus.  I've even taken an open level class (gasp!) and enjoyed every mellow minute!  I'll try to get video of as many tricks as I can throw over the next little bit.

I'm glad to look forward to flying for the joy it gives instead of dreading yet another failure at goal accomplishment.  Here's to March Madness at the rig!!

No comments: