Saturday, March 10, 2012

Anthem

This morning I was supposed to go on a group run. While we don't normally run together on Saturday, Team in Training organized a run they call Connection to the Cause (C2C) where after the group training session, the group got to experience first-hand what our fundraising efforts are being used for, including the opportunity to have are cheeks swabbed to see if we were possible marrow matches. The point of the C2C, beyond seeing why we were fundraising, was to give us a reason to keep going when the training got tough, or we were at mile 23 of the run at Ironman wondering how on earth we will finish. Every book I've read about Ironman says that it's important to have a reason beyond oneself for racing.

But yesterday was Hip-hop night at my daughter's school. It was the first time she would be spending a Friday night with me on hip-hop night, so of course we had to go. And of course I told her "yes" when she asked if her best friend could sleep over, and since I knew that my kids would be spending Saturday evening and Sunday with their dad, I decided to sleep in for another hour (yeah, not a bad benefit), and run after they left, so that I could spend as much of the day as possible with my girls.

Why mention this? After all, I make decisions like this all the time - pushing off a run or swim or bike workout because they need me. But that is the point. I do it all the time. Because my girls are important to me. The most important thing, in fact. But not the only thing that's important - I am also important to myself.

There are many valuable lessons that I'd like to teach my kids. One of them is that each of us matter, and that our dreams matter too. When I became a mother, I had dreams for my girls- mostly that they be happy, healthy, caring individuals. Those dreams didn't extend to what they choose to do with their lives, nor do I think that they ought to. I'm blessed to have a full, rich life, with enough energy and curiosity to find fulfilling pursuits. My kids also win out, as I don't feel the need to live through them vicariously.

So as much as this Ironman is about finding a cure, it's also about chasing one's dreams and fighting for them when there are those around you telling you to quit. I do quite the juggling act to find a balance between kids, work and training, and am lucky that TNT's big training day is Sunday, when the girls are with their dad. But I believe in teaching by example, and they will learn to be strong women, to fight for their dreams, and not to quit just because there are those around them who don't understand their vision.

Girls, know that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Fight for your dreams!

And to those out there who try to quash mine, I say thanks. Now I have all the more fire in my belly. I WILL remember this at mile 23 of the run, and it will power me through to the end.

And now, off to my long run.


No comments: