Wednesday, April 4, 2012

South Beach weekend


March came and went in a flurry of training for the first half of the month, then trying to find time to train in the second two weeks.  We were very lucky to have a mild winter, and a particularly mild early March, which allowed for plenty of outdoor cycling both in Central Park and New Jersey.  Unfortunately, the second half of the month of the month wasn’t quite as kind.  Blustery conditions combined with one child home from school on spring break wreaked havoc on my training.  This created an unplanned and undesired taper leading into my first triathlon of the 2012 season – Nautica South Beach – and my first opportunity to race in my new age group – 40-44.

It was also the first time that one of my kids would be at an event with me.  Because she was stuck at home and office for spring break while I worked, I thought it would be fun to have Yarden come down with me to Miami and experience her first triathlon.  Now as much as I was looking forward to this, if I was completely honest, I was also dreading how it would affect the training I’d be doing down there in anticipation of the race. 

Miami was… Miami.  80’s and sunny.  Yarden immediately wanted to get a swimsuit on and head into the water.   I wanted to pick up my bike, go for a run, and maybe spin on the bike for a bit.  Most of those happened.  After a stop for some lunch and to get Yarden some bikinis, we went to pick up my bike and play with Buc, the Terrier Tri Jack Russell Terrier.  Then Yarden suited up, and I wore my shorts and we headed to the beach where she splashed in the waves while I dipped my feet in, and took pictures of her frolicking;

 It was then time for a quick run where I discovered that (gasp!!!) my Garmin wasn’t charged as I thought it was.  (Unfortunately I left the charger at home.  Never doing that again!)  We were both hungry at that point and South Beach was crazy crowded so I scrapped the bike ride plan, and instead took a quick shower and headed out to dinner with Den.  

The following morning, I skipped the open water swim with the Terriers, and just went to the St. Jude’s open water swim clinic that Terrier was holding right after, since I figured that sitting on the beach on her own for 3 hours would be a bit boring for Yarden.  The water was choppy, and we practiced sighting and breathing in the 2-3 footers, which was actually quite fun.  I found that I was hanging well with the boys in my group, and of course that’s always a confidence builder.  Pretty soon we were done with the lesson, and so Yarden and I went swimming on our own for a bit before breakfast.  

Playing Hangman at Breakfast

 
I then got to introduce Yarden to the fun of packet pick-up and tri expos.  I wasn’t the only one signed up for a race this weekend.  Yarden allowed me to sign her up for the 100-yard Tot Trot on the beach, which immediately followed the tri.  Woo hoo!  Yarden’s first real race, bib, t-shirt, etc.  We then went around to the various tents.  I got a replacement hydration system while Yarden filled up on Cliff chomps, chews, etc., and picked up her very first race belt.  We then went to the Zico booth for some of  their excellent coconut waters.  Chocolate for me and Mango for Yarden.   Then back to our room to unload the stuff, and I moved the car from one garage to the other, and threw in some sprint intervals on the way.  
 It was time to head back to the beach for some splashing, spiral castle building and mermaid-making.



  As we were sitting there, we saw storm clouds gather in the horizon.  I told Yarden that I wanted to get on the bike ASAP, and that she could come to the room when she was ready.  Unfortunately, by then it really was too late.  The rest of the evening it rained then drizzled, only letting up once the sun was down.  

I figured that it was what it was.  One last bike ride wasn’t going to make or break my performance in the tri, so we showered, and had an early dinner,


before laying out what I’d wear the next morning, packing my transition bag with everything I’d need, and decorating Yarden’s race big with palm trees, hibiscus flowers, sun and sea.  Then it was off to bed for me.  The next morning would start early.  




No comments: