Monday, December 31, 2012

Looking Back


My, what an interesting year it has been!  Turning 40 was the impetus for a pursuit of becoming an Ironman – a process that enriched my life in so many ways.  Although there were a couple of DNS races – NYC Tri and the marathon, to name two, overall, my year in sport has been a good one – full of learning, striving, and even a little achieving.

Recapping my goals from the beginning of the year…
1.  I had 2 goals for trapeze a mod catch out of lines and a layout full catch out of lines.  These were both quite lofty goals, which required a significant investment of time and energy - both at the rig, and in complementary pursuits like trampoline and acro.  However, given that I was also pursuing an Ironman finish, I had to make a choice about the best uses of my time.  Trapeze training which followed Ironman training, was not only ineffective, but even dangerous.  I found myself in some scary situations that I hadn't been in before, and made the determination that once the indoor rig was closed down I'd go on a trapeze hiatus, with the hopes that TSNY would find a permanent space by the fall.    However, no permanent space panned out, and returning to the outdoor rig made me realize that while I enjoyed trapeze, that burning desire to improve, reach farther and do bigger tricks, wasn't driving me as it once was.  Maybe 5 months away was too much to come back from at the time.  I'm not sure.  But I do know that three classes back found me full of excuses not to go all out mentally or physically, and looking for excuses not to fly.  Maybe if there was a convenient indoor space, I'd feel differently.   But at this point in my life, trapeze is not worth an evening away from my daughters, or a trip into one of the outer boroughs.

2.  Triathlon:  My goals regarding Ironman were:
a. Finish Ironman Mont-Tremblant - check
b. Enjoy the experience - double check
c. Finish sub-14:00:00 - FAIL.  I couldn't do it on that day.  Not after being sick the month before (and mostly because of the way that affected my confidence than my physical state).  BUT... that fail had me sign up for Ironman Lake Placid 2013.  I know I can go sub-14, but hope for more impressive feats than that... (hmm... maybe if I put it out there, I'll be more likely to achieve it?  Sub-13.  There.  I said it.  Now let's make it happen!)
4. Sub 2:40 on NYC Tri- well, due to acute bronchitis, I DNS that race.  We can carry that goal over  to 2013, since I deferred.  On the plus side, I did take my age group at the NYRR Sprint, and placed 2nd in my AG at the Montauk Oly tri.  Small fields in both certainly helped, but hey, I'll take it.

For 2013 in triathlon, I hope to be fitter, stronger and faster. That's going to happen by doing the following:
1. Adding strength training back into my life;
2. Building a solid foundation pre-season (that's going on now - running 3-4x/wk, and cycling 3x/wk, w/a swim thrown in here and there - thinking about joining a masters swim group to increase swim time/mileage).
3. Monitor my rest/health/etc.
4. Be better about making my workouts.  Audiobooks have helped with run motivation this fall, and December was a solid training month for me, and I plan to continue that momentum into the new year.
Races already signed up for and on the horizon include 2 HIMs, 1 oly, 1 sprint, and of course Lake Placid.  First 1/2 marathon is at the end of January, and the 1st HIM is in mid-March.  Early season motivation!

As to my less concrete goals - I did do more volunteering in 2012 than 2011, including helping out post-Sandy as well as opportunities up in Harlem.  I also knitted and donated 50+ hats and a dozen scarves to the needy, and plan on continuing those pursuits in the new year.

Although I haven't mastered a new language, I've started listening to podcasts on a bunch of topics, and have been taking advantage of iTunes U to learn about lots of interesting things.  It was also a big year for non-fiction books on my reading list- I nice change from the usual brain candy that I indulge in.

Looking forward, I plan on taking advantage of the momentum that built up in 2012 and bring it forward and ahead.  Overall this December 31, I find myself happier, healthier, more relaxed and balanced than last year, and plan on more of the same, as well as some different in 2013.   

No comments: